You’ve come this far—you’ve gotten accepted to USC! I’m certain the initial thing in your thoughts now is ways to challenge yourself to the fullest level through your four years as a Trojan. Ok, ok, maybe researching Honors products at USC is not the thing that is first your to-do list (you’re busy applying for housing and ordering football tickets, right?) So, we thought we would bring the given information for your requirements! Here you will find the details on two honors choices at USC: Freshman Science Honors and Thematic choice.
The Freshman Science Honors Program, or FSH, provides a rigorous yet personalized experience for first year students in the natural sciences. Instead of using the typical freshmen 12 months technology courses, FSH pupils simply take a version that is advanced of classes which have both a smaller lecture and discussion section. This fosters a more experience that is hands-on labs, more individualized attention from faculty, and a more collaborative environment amongst FSH Scholars. FSH also expands beyond the classroom, providing possibilities for industry trips, guest lectures, etc.
Austin Carter, a sophomore majoring in Biological Sciences, participated in FSH and says he initially applied because he ‘was excited about working together with a smaller group of people’ and ‘thrives off collaboration.’ He definitely found that teamwork through FSH: ‘Through collaborating on labs or studying for tests, our hard work brought us together.’ He also notes that an investigation trip to Catalina ‘offered an opportunity to really get to understand one another outside of the classroom setting.’ To learn more, including just how to apply, please visit make an application for FSH . Please observe that the 2013 due date is April 10th, and to be eligible, you must be a declared science that is natural.
Thematic choice, or TO because it is referred to on campus, is a system that replaces USC’s General Education curriculum having an interdisciplinary core curriculum. While not a humanities program per say, inside is very learning and writing intensive, so students deciding on this scheduled program should be ready for this sort of rigor. If you don’t LOVE reading and writing, this program might be not for you. Like FSH, TO provides students with a smaller learning environment which allows for greater conversation amongst pupils and faculty.
Aaron Brown, Associate Director of Admission, participated in TO when he was a pupil at USC. Aaron says that TO ‘became a way that is great shrink this big institution up to a more manageable size’ and claims it offered him with a good community of like-minded students. Aaron says his favorite TO course ended up being Core 102 that he took their very first semester of college themed ‘The Hero’s Journey.’ He says one instance that stands apart is when the class invested an entire period discussing just two paragraphs of Heart of Darkness. Aaron claims it had been a ‘wow, this is college’ moment for him. Aaron even got a trip to Disneyland from the experience during his Core 101 course when they were studying Mickey Mouse as a social symbol. He notes that as a freshman brand new to LA, ‘these had been invaluable possibilities to explore this great city.’
To learn more on how to apply, please visit deciding on Thematic Option . Please note that just admitted pupils meet the criteria to use plus the due date is April tenth.
These are only two of the options that are many have for pursuing honors at USC. One could also receive departmental honors by completing a honors thesis in their senior year. Please visit the following links for info on other honors programs at USC: Dornsife Honors Prorgrams, Viterbi Honors, Renaissance Scholars, worldwide Scholars, Discovery Scholars, McNair Scholars, Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship.
Remember that even that you will still be receiving an invigorating and intellectually challenging education at one of the world’s premier research institutions if you do not complete any of the aforementioned programs during your time at USC, rest assured. Fight on!
I Really Like LA!
In the couple that is next, recently admitted pupils, along side big waves of prospective students on their spring breaks, will be visiting our campus. Because Mid-March through April is our busiest time for visitors, visitors should make their reservations early. Please click on the after links that are helpful information about how to join up for a campus see:
We now have invested the last couple of months reading thousands of files, we are very excited to meet all of you so we are primed for some student interaction and! While we’m certain there will be happening that is plenty campus, I wanted to highlight several things about this gorgeous town that I enjoy. I have been residing in Los Angeles for the last 9 years and there are still things I haven’t done, but this is usually a personal ‘Must See’ list that I’ve put together for LA visitors. I hope you enjoy!
1) Let’s Take A Ride: For my commute that is everyday simply take the Metro Expo Line to get results. Since its opening in Spring 2012, USC students are able to simply take this train to Culver City in West LA or to Downtown. I invite you to accomplish the same! Culver City is a great destination for restaurants, museums and theaters. If you ride the Expo Line heading in the contrary direction, you will be able to take pleasure from LA Live- house of the Nokia Theatre, the GRAMMY museum and many more restaurants. Right next door is The Staples Center, where the Lakers play ( plus some other NBA team that no one caresabout). From there, you can feel free to explore the remainder of Downtown LA and all it has to offer! There are three stops near our campus therefore it is extremely accessible. The fare is cheapand it takes 20 minutes or less getting to either destination. Talk about a way that is great avoid traffic!
2) Why see the globe, when you’ve got the BEACH!: I couldnot have a ‘Must See’ list about LA without mentioning the coastline! Venice is always popular with your visitors due to all the social people watching you are able to do. I prefer less beaches that are crowded Playa or Santa Monica, but whatever maybe you are within the mood for, you can’t visit LA without hitting the waves!
3) pay attention!: our thing that is favorite Los Angeles is the quantity and variety of live music you can expose you to ultimately. We love going to big concerts at my favorite venue, The Greek Theatre, to view musicians like Jason Mraz or Phoenix. I can always check out up and coming singer/songwriters at places like Room 5 or The Witzend if I want to go for something more intimate.
4) An Elevated Rested Place: I wasn’t going to consist of restaurants in this post, but this is a new favorite, so I had to make an exception. Perch restaurant is a french bistro that is inspired in one’s heart of downtown la. It bears its name mostly because it sits on a rooftop and offers you an unobstructed 360 degree view of this city. I highly recommend using your household right here for Sunday brunch with some live music
5) A Lesson ever sold: Olvera Street could be the earliest component associated with city. Simply take the Expo Line from campus and then the line that is connecting Union Station. In about 50 % an hour, you certainly will find https://shmoop.pro/ yourself surrounded by historic structures and a traditional style that is mexican with plenty of places to consume and shop. Invest a couple of hours appreciating the beauty that is architectural studying its traditions.
I hope some of you get to visit some of these accepted places and inform us exactly what you might think when you do!